[RE-wrenches] Flashings- to nail or not to nail

Matt Lafferty gilligan06 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 09:34:20 PDT 2010

Hey Nick,

Can you shed some light on your crew's reason(s) for wanting to do this?
Waterproofing? Aesthetics? Have you or they had problems with leaks in the
past that this practice might prevent?

Assuming you are talking about nailing down the exposed lower part of a
flashing base on a comp roof... There are times to consider it and times
that it's a waste of effort and possibly compromises the installation.

In most cases, a flashing that is properly cut in to a comp roof in good
shape shouldn't need this for waterproofing. Especially if you are using a
sealant under the standoff.

Times when you might want to consider this are when the roof is in
questionable condition or got chewed up putting in the standoff or you're
using small-base flashings in a high wind environment on a low-slope roof.

IF you are going to do it, use corrosion-resistant screws instead of nails.
1-1/2" #10 sheet metal screws are good for this. Put a dollop of your
favorite roof sealant between the flashing and the roof where the screws
will go and around/over the screw heads.

In any case, I would get to the bottom of my crew's concerns before making
up a policy. You might find that there is another problem that needs to be
addressed... Like maybe they aren't real adept at cutting in flashings and
need to get some pointers. Or maybe they are doing it fine and just aren't
confident in their skills or want to do an extra-super job.

I also recommend that you talk with at least two decent roofers and get
their thoughts on it. If you have a hard time finding a decent roofer, lower
your standards of decency.

$0.02001

Solar Janitor

  _____