[RE-wrenches] attaching to roof decking - Foam Insulation Install

Philip Boutelle philboutelle at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 08:54:25 PDT 2010

Sorry if this went through twice; the list scrubbed my attachment and
bounced the message.
--------------------------
I have an ancient (1999) spec sheet from ITWBuildex (contact me offlist for
a copy) for the #14 Roofgrip screws that we used to get from DPW to use on
their Easy Feet. It lists plywood thicknesses and associated pull-out
strengths (3/8" = 326 lbs, 1/2" = 436 lbs, 3/4" = 728 lbs. There are
probably a few fastener manufacturers that have a screw rated for pull-out
on plywood, it's just a matter of tracking that information down. Maybe a
good fastener store could help find some, like Harrison & Bonini in San
Francisco. Or keep trying to get an updated spec from DPW, or at least a
current product name they suppply if it is not Roofgrip. Try Jeff Randall (
randallj at directpower.com); you need to talk to one of their engineers to get
anything besides basic pricing and availability.

BTW, those screws are rated for plywood only, not OSB.

One last thought: now that you can find a pull-out number, you might want to
check the point loading per area with the foam on the roof. For example, if
each point load is 40 lbs and you use a post with a 4" x 4" base, then the
distributed point load is 2.5 psi. Doesn't sound like much, but could be
worth checking. A while back we had DPW make us some custom Easy Posts with
large bases to decrease that point load off the foam roof (solar thermal, a
little heavier, on the roof of a foam guy's house so he knew his product and
asked us for this specifically).

-Phil

Phil Boutelle

Project Engineer