[RE-wrenches] Battery Bank Off-gassing CO?

Bill Loesch solar1online at charter.net
Tue Jun 29 08:30:33 PDT 2010

Daniel,

Your home auditor should become more familiar with her own test equipment!!!

Hydrogen is well known to cause false positives for CO when using a combustion analyzer. There are sensors which exhibit _low_ cross sensitivity to hydrogen, but those are not the rule. I know of no CO sensor that is completely immune to H2.

This is not to discount other combustion venting issues, backdrafting, running a car in an attached garage (even with the garage door open), etc. as a cause for her "ill feeling" symptoms.

Please remember when you install the battery box power vent, an appropriate inlet vent, drawing preferably outside air (sealed vent system) is also required or you may further (slightly) exacerbate the CO issue by pulling your intake air out of (e.g.) the natural draft tank water heater vent. FieldControls.com has an outstanding website that educates, informs, as well as sells venting products and solutions.

Best wishes,

Bill Loesch
Solar 1 - Saint Louis Solar
314 631 1094