[RE-wrenches] Gen set problems

Jeff Wongstrom info at thirstylakesolar.com
Tue Jun 15 06:20:00 PDT 2010

William,

I am having the same problem with a newly installed 8.5RES with a
single VFX3648.  The problem was somewhat corrected for a auto start
shutdown by setting the generator cool down to one minute.  This
unloads the generator before the generator is shut down and
eliminates the nasty relay chatter in the inverter followed by a surge
(indicated by a flash in the lighting) . There is still however a
'hammering' in the step down transformer.

With a MAN-OFF there there is still a chatter and surge before the
inverter and generator say goodbye to each other.

I am planning on adding a contactor to disconnect the generator input
with the generator start relay unless another solution exists.

I am wondering if Kohler has changed something and the two no longer
get along?  The next time that I go to the job site I am going to
check the shutdown of the generator with the OB system disconnected.
I am also going to try a second backup generator.

Thirsty Lake Solar
Jeff Wongstrom
NABCEP Certified Solar Installer
University of Montana College of Technology
Renewable Energy Instructor
406-219-1119
thirstylakesolar
energytechnology