[RE-wrenches] Real world PV production

SOLARPRO at aol.com SOLARPRO at aol.com
Thu Jun 10 20:16:49 PDT 2010

Joel:

The PV system in Long Beach was built within a stone's throw of a twin
smoke stack for a big furnace devoted to a "Trash to Energy" project.  It
burns garbage to produce energy.... and LA has plenty of trash.  Combine  that
with all of the diesel soot being generated by ocean long haulers  which
bring cars, refrigerators and yes, PV modules into the busiest port  and rail
hub on the left coast for our consumption. The modules, and everything  else
in the port, are just plain dirty.

We install mostly in southern LA County. Our systems are always  above
predicted outputs by PV Watts 2 & the CSI EPBB.  The  degradation over the years
seems not be have been as severe as  predicted, except for some of the
PhotoWatt units we installed for a  brief while.  I think that the lower
degradation may be due to our mild  climate?  Since we are coastal, we really
stress tilting the mods at least  10 degrees to help them weep from the almost
daily condensation, which also has  the effect of cleaning the panels.  Then
the soot-laden sludge at the lower  edge accumulates to the point that we
recommend annual scrubbing.  Simple  Green has been suggested as a good product
for cleaning the modules and that is  what we tell our customers (but is it
really 'bio-degradable'?)

 Patrick A. Redgate
Ameco Solar, Inc.
7623 Somerset  Blvd
Paramount, CA 90723
888-595-9570

In a message dated 6/10/2010 4:19:23 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,