[RE-wrenches] Tiny load problem

Brian Teitelbaum bteitelbaum at aeesolar.com
Wed May 12 10:37:09 PDT 2010

Bob,

The power draw of a system with a 4kW inverter powering a 26W load will just be 26W plus the tare loss of the inverter. The inverter will be damn close to 100% efficient at that load.

Inverter efficiency charts are a bit confusing at the low end. All of them will show efficiencies of under 50% at the low end, but that is just the effect of the inverter's tare losses. For instance, if the inverter draws 20W at full voltage idle (no load, but not sleeping) and you run a 20W load, then you are operating at 40W draw from the battery. This shows up as 50% efficiency on the chart, but in fact, you are only using 20W to power that 20W load (alright...maybe 21W)

The Magnum MS4024-AE has a no load draw of 25W (according to the spec sheet), so with the 26W load, you will draw about 51W, or about 2A from a 24V battery sitting at 25VDC. If you figure a 12hr night, that's 612 Whrs, or about 25AH from the battery. This is quite a bit of power, and if you were in a sunnier area, it would certainly make sense to just add PV. Where you are, it might be more iffy, but I still think that you are better off just adding to the PV array.

Brian Teitelbaum
AEE Solar