[RE-wrenches] Volcanos, reduced solar production and kWh performance warr...

Keith Cronin electrichi01 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 26 10:16:58 PDT 2010

Friends

Having had some experience in this genre, after selling my company to SunEdison in '07, here are my takeaways.

1. The financing community want assurances. My hunch is their expectations or what they were sold compared to what the production is, could be falling short.
2. Risk management- pushing the risk to the integrator, leverages their returns. Assignment of this responsibility, kWH harvest is hard to quantify.
3. The factor- PVWatts- .77; .82- perhaps the .77 is more conservative- over time. The amalgamation of 25 or so years of production is hard to extrapolate. Another function of risk. Who is being relegated to take the risk, is a negotiable piece of the relationship.

Overall, the way wrenches can make some more $ and have a long term relationship with their clients, is having a maintenance-recurring revenue aspect to their business models. This is were you could articulate this. If you are being asked to provide warranties/assurances, build it into the deal. X cents per kW, for the system install, etc. Yes, enjoy the upside to your favor, since they are asking you to share the downside. Some years, the weather will be fantastic and hence increased production, some years, Iceland will have erupting volcanoes.

To me, the performance based model needs to come out of our industry and we need to wean ourselves from tax credits, buy downs etc and go FIT. This includes full blown maintenance agreements on systems we have deployed, to ensure the tax payers who have subsidized these systems at the federal and state level are getting a good return on their investment as well. It makes me wonder how many systems that have been grid tied over the last 10 years are still fully optimized and working to spec? I surmise alot of connectors have come loose, trees have grown, dirt has accumulated, etc., to suggest a degradation of performance.

If we are seeking energy independence, we need to have a digital dashboard to manage the systems efficacy.