[RE-wrenches] OSHA Training for Proper Rigging Tips/Tricks?

benn kilburn benn at daystarsolar.ca
Thu Apr 22 00:24:41 PDT 2010

Ryan,If it can be arranged, its not a bad idea to have a roof anchor installed with a new roof.  Then it can be left for future check-ups and any roof work.  If the homeowner is fussy about the aesthetics then tell them you can paint it to match the roof when your done, it will hardly be noticeable, and that it is just a good idea for safety reasons.  Adding one to an existing roof is not a big deal and it can be left behind for the same reason, just ensure you seal it diligently.
I do have some roof jacks that i had picked up but haven't put to use yet. If your considering a using a chimney in a pinch...  keep in mind, a 'rule of thumb' is, don't tie off to something that you wouldn't hang your pick up truck from.  Otherwise it will not be able to support you in a free fall.  If possible, restrain your rope grab from allowing you to be able to fall over the edge, keeping in mind that if your working off to one side of the roof anchor then you will have to lengthen your reach which will not keep you from going over the edge.
As far as training, around here there are several outfits offering fall protection training.  They are typically catering mainly to the industrial and commercial construction industry where fall protection is taken pretty seriously.  I have taken a few of these courses.  If they have training specifically for a residential roofer, i haven't taken it yet. These courses should also be offered thru a 'contractor association'.  Just try to see if you can find one that trains for residential homes, if that is what you are doing most of.
thanks for bring up this topic, i'd love to hear some other suggestions myself.
benn
DayStar Renewable Energy Inc. benn at daystarsolar.ca780-906-7807 HAVE A SUNNY DAY