[RE-wrenches] copper weatherhead?

Nick Houser offgridn at telus.net
Sun Apr 11 08:04:55 PDT 2010

NIk-----------Just went through this when I used an off-the-shelf
(expensive) Oatey plumbing or
vent boot to penetrate the standing seam roof between the seams. Lots of
premium sealant where the array conductor entered the neoprene boot.
Inspector didn't like it saying the boot would eventually
deteriorate causing a leak. (Well, EVENTUALLY the Sun will go nova,
too!)He required something that LOOKED like a weatherhead. so what I came
up with was a standard weathercap mounted on a stub conduit
on a rain tite plastic eight inch box gooped and fastened to the roof and
a hole on the back (bottom)
bit enough to completely surround the original boot diameter. Horrible
trip hazard and it looks
stupid to me but it sure pleased him! Go figure. Nick Houser  Off Grid
Services. P.S.  Next time
I'll use a Soladeck Combiner bot, though they are really intended for a
shingled roof.