[RE-wrenches] DC wire sizing

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Fri Apr 9 10:12:22 PDT 2010

Also consider that most people are figuring volt drop at a wire temperature of 167 deg F (75C). That's really hot, and most of the time the wire will be much cooler, and therefore the volt drop will be less.
(use the fine print note #2, NEC table 8 to adjust down for cooler temperature)
William's time analysis is very interesting as well: when considering wire losses for a continuous 24/7 load, it is roughly 4 times more important to reduce the losses than the PV wiring. Likewise a load that is only on 5 min/ day doesn't make near as much sense to oversize the wire. I added this time factor to my spreadsheet for calculating economics.

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer