[RE-wrenches] DC wire sizing

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Fri Apr 9 07:44:48 PDT 2010

Friends:

Forgive me if this point has already been made:

When designing PV feeders, one typically looks at the Impp of an array for
current specifications.  Impp is rarely achieved, however -- only  a
handful of days per year and for only a short period of time per
day.   This is particularly true for a fixed array.

I took the hour-by-hour data from the PV watts tool, subtracted out the
zero values (night time) and averaged the remaining values.  The result was
about 50%.

Therefore, a 2% VD at Impp is actually a 1% VD on average.  This gives a
bit more headroom in any PV feeder design.

William Miller