[RE-wrenches] Generators and Grid-tie Systems

Michael Kelly mike at solarflair.com
Tue Mar 2 08:41:51 PST 2010

All,

If the grid-tie inverter is operating under UL1741 (and therefore IEEE1547),
then the inverter has to cease output within 1 second of the voltage going
over 10% of the base voltage.  So in the case where the generator is
outputting and the load is less than the inverter output, the voltage will
rise and the inverter will cease to ouput.  The voltage will then drop, the
inverter will reconnect, and the cycle will repeat itself.  That assumes the
generator's waveform is clean enough for the inverter to connect to in the
first place.  James Worden from Solectria Renewables covered this briefly in
a SolarPro article:
http://solarprofessional.com/article/?file=SP2_5_pg16_QandA_2.

- Mike
--