[RE-wrenches] Solar rights precedent

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Fri Feb 26 00:46:02 PST 2010

Joel:

Two points:

1. There is no one behind the residence and the adjacent property is a
conservation easement, so there will never be anyone there in the future to
have a blocked view.  Our non-penetrating installation will be only about
14" tall, so view blocking is not an issue.

2. State law allows only review based on whether a project affects the
public health or safety.  I can not see how view protection has anything to
do with the health and safety of the public.  This seems so straight
forward, but the city attorney insists that the city can charge $500.00 for
a use permit application and then debate the merits of a height limitation.

If there were some possibility that the arrays could blow off the roof and
strike some one, then there would be a safety nexus.  The system is
certified safe for wind zone C and the issue of safety has never been
addressed.

I think I will call the state AG.

Code below:

17959.1.  (a) A city or county shall administratively approve
applications to install solar energy systems though the issuance of a
building permit or similar nondiscretionary permit. However, if the
building official of the city or county has a good faith belief that
the solar energy system could have a specific, adverse impact upon
the public health and safety, the city or county may require the
applicant to apply for a use permit.

William Miller