[RE-wrenches] Absolyte Battery Question

Brian Teitelbaum bteitelbaum at aeesolar.com
Wed Feb 10 22:56:15 PST 2010

Allen,

First a minor correction: Those 100-33 cells are rated at 1920Ah at the 20hr rate.

It’s interesting that their Sr App Engineer would say 9A per 100Ah (C/11 rate), since the operation manual and spec sheets state that the max charging current is “5% of nominal C/100 Amp-hour rating” at 25⁰C, or C/20. The 100-33 cells have a 100-hr rating of 2100Ah to a cell voltage of 1.75V, so the max charge rate should be 105A. However, that 5% rate is based on using a constant-voltage charging source at the 2.35V per cell voltage setting. I’m sure that you can charge at a higher rate if the battery voltage is lower (still partially discharged), and that is probably what the Engineer was thinking of.

You don’t have to push AGM batteries as hard as flooded batteries since you don’t need to stir up the electrolyte.

I don’t think that this is particularly relevant though, since any charge rate that replaces the used amp-hours, plus the self-discharge rate, will work fine. So really the more important question is “what is the rate of self-discharge for these batteries”.  The spec sheet states that the self-discharge rate is between 0.5 and 1.0% per week, but that’s with a new battery. What the rate is on your older batteries would not be easy to find out. The only way that I can think of would be to charge them up completely, and let them sit, with no charge or discharge, for a few weeks to a month, and measure the static voltage drop over that time. From that you can get an idea of what the lost percent of charge is, but I doubt that this is a practical experiment to do.

Ultimately, the issue is whether the charging sources can keep up with the discharge over time. Only observation and time will tell that. A good amp-hour meter will sure help.  If the batteries can’t be brought up to a full state of charge within a few days of a major discharge, you need to add more PV, reduce loads, or run a genny.

Brian Teitelbaum
AEE Solar