[RE-wrenches] Inverter causing migraine?

Michael Gullo mgullo3 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 4 17:47:56 PST 2010

Hi Ron and the group,

The attribution of negative health effects to exposure to electromagnetic
fields or activated electric equipment has not been confirmed in random
double-blind provocation studies involving persons reporting
hypersensitivity to electricity. Before we accuse are hard-working
inverters, let's look at some facts. There are 13 different categories of
headaches which are divided into over 129 sub-types. Many people call every
headache they experience as migraine when in fact there are specific
inclusion criteria to make diagnosis of migraine. The "rubber band
tightening around my head" is a classic symptom of tension-type headache.
Given a mid 50's female, there are more likely one or more provoking
factors: medications, sleep pattern, hormonal replacement therapy, stress
(clenching, TMJ), smoker, foods (aged cheese, alcohol, caffeine, chocolate,
dairy products, MSGs, etc). Does she work at a computer using a chair with
no arms and no lower back support with a monitor slightly higher than eye
level? This is an extremely common scenario in which the employee comes to
work symptom-free and by 12 or 1:00 develops a headache or neck ache. If she
really wants some answers, she will need to keep a headache diary for
several weeks and seek professional help. You could cycle the inverter
on/off to see if there is a direct correlation between the incidence of the
headaches and runtime of the inverter. BTW, the placebo effect, as mentioned
in other emails, is between 40-60% effective at resolving symptoms. Hope
this helps a bit.

Mike
Michael Gullo
Solar Solutions LLC
Marlton, NJ

NABCEP Certified PV Installer T
Diplomate American Board of Orofacial Pain