[RE-wrenches] Fire Department Training

Dan Fink danbob at hughes.net
Sat Jan 30 07:37:09 PST 2010

Hi David --

Myself and Capt. Matt Paiss of the San Jose Fire Dept. have both been
working on this topic extensively.

I have developed a training curriculum for PV installers on how to
educate your local fire department, which includes a powerpoint lecture,
instructor's guide, and class handouts. I'll be giving 2 workshops about
this at the upcoming AEE Solar dealers conference in Arizona next month,
if you're going to be there. If not, contact me off-list for more
information about purchasing this curriculum (it's on CD).

Capt. Paiss wrote an article on the topic for Home Power Magazine last
year, I wrote the sidebar for wildland firefighters. I wrote a short
article recently for FireRescue1.com, and they also Capt. Paiss' video
on the topic. It's here:
http://www.firerescue1.com/fire-attack/articles/594656-Solar-Safety-for-Firefighters-The-Myths-and-the-Facts/
None of these are comprehensive, but they do give a good introduction.

The main hazards of SHW are fragile collectors on roofs that won't
support weight or ladders, and roof access pathways. The pop-offs in
your system should handle any direct flame impingement. With very old
systems (Jimmy Carter era) that are no longer in operation, all bets are
off--stuck pop-offs, and the possibility of strange liquids used for
heat exchange. In at least one case, an explosion occurred due to an
unapproved heat exchange liquid that got stale and out-gassed flammable
VOCs.

DAN FINK
Renewable Energy Consultant
danfink at buckville.com