[RE-wrenches] Mounting to SIPs, revisited

Jeff Clearwater jeffc at villagepower.com
Mon Jan 18 11:30:36 PST 2010

Good Folks,

We did a job on Hunter panels - which are even
worse than SIPS because they have no lumber at
the edges in the rafter orientation like SIPS do.
We used the large surface area mounts like
Ecofasten or Rapid Foot thare intended for metal
roofs and instead modified them to work with SIPS
by changing the screw lengths and patterns.

We used EcoFasten's products:
http://www.ecofastensolar.com/our-products/eco-fasten

You could also use UNIRACs rapid foot or
equivalent.  We then customized the screw pattern
such that every other screw was a short or long
one - the short ones going into the top sheathing
and the long ones going into the base sheathing
(and/or rafters if you need to) that the Hunter
or SIP sits on.

We also then made sure to install long screws
that go down into the lower sheathing underneath
the steel plate of the ecofasten - that way the
compression force is transferred below.  And then
more long screws aboveand through the plate.  You
can even plan to hit rafters below if  you really
plan ahead or do it during new construction.
You have to do the calcs on what the foam can
handle for psi and what uplift you need, etc.
Bring in an engineer on this.

We used 30"' centers - it's very expensive - but
the idea is to distribute the weight - kind of
like an S5 approach.  We had an engineer do the
calcs.

Best of luck!

Send $ to Haiti,

Jeff C.