[RE-wrenches] Mounting to SIPs, revisited

RALPH PISCIOTTA pisciottaelectric at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 18 07:34:04 PST 2010

Hi Luke Christy,
I am wiring a SIP house, and the plans called for hanging a fan on the ceiling.  I contacted the manufacturer and they suggested cutting out a rectangular section of the OSB board that extends well beyond the dimension of my ceiling mounted round metal box.  Then with a tool called a hot knife, the Styrofoam was melted away.  Next we gouged out more Styrofoam, several inches beyond the cut out and slipped some 2x wood blocks into the hole and screwed along the perimeter. Next screw the OSB cutout back in place, and now there is a large area to screw into for your mounting foot. I hope this makes sense.
Ralph Pisciotta
Willits Electric