[RE-wrenches] To insulate a battery bank DEPENDS on a lot of factors.

Exeltech exeltech at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 14 04:54:10 PST 2010

If sealed batteries are inadvertently overcharged, H2 and O may be created at a rate beyond which the two gasses can be recombined within the cells.  In this case, internal seals may open to prevent excessive pressure from accumulating and turning the battery into an explosion hazard.  Venting of the enclosure is needed for the same reason.  Though sealed batteries are less likely to require venting - it's a necessary safety precaution.

Dan