[RE-wrenches] Battery Cable REvistied

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Tue Nov 30 08:26:57 PST 2010

HI Mark;

Where do you get the lead plated lugs? We used to special order tin plated lugs from Del City, but they quit carrying them.
I found that the grease or vaseline coating was the most important issue, though. Tin plated lugs would corrode just like the unplated ones, except they first would lose their plating.
Lead plated lugs might just be the ticket, except you would still have to keep the corrosion from creeping up under the heat shrink to the copper cable.
I've had cables with corrosion going up the cable strands for over 6" past the lug. And yes we use heat shrink with the sealing adhesive inside; the corrosion just travels right under it along the surface of the metal. I actually found electrical tape seals better, it just doesn't look near as good, so we still use heat shrink, and coat over the heat shrink with the vaseline (or grease).

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer