[RE-wrenches] Expected Life of SW Inverters

Keith Cronin electrichi01 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 3 01:26:48 PDT 2010

William

My SW4048 went through 3 boards from 98-04 until I retired it. Blowing salty air
across a FET rail and mother board that is not conformal coated, created a
perpetual triage environment.

Sealed units or units that pull air out vs blowing them directly on their boards
in a coastal environment will increase the likelihood of a longer service life.

Alot of this experience birthed SMA's first generation inverters with the giant
fins on the top, like my 2500 grid tied unit.

Heat, salt and varying voltage, amperage and watts flowing into these devices
surely contributes to their longevity as well.