[RE-wrenches] Battery Placement

boB Gudgel boB at midnitesolar.com
Fri Oct 22 17:59:16 PDT 2010

On 10/22/2010 10:25 AM, Allan Sindelar wrote:
> Ray,
> I don't think Robin has posted anything, it just came in a
> conversation we had. As I understand it, service equipment must have
> nothing interfering with designated working clearance, within a few
> inches of depth allowed. With Outback, Magnum, and Xanschneider the
> breakers are on the front surface and are within the allowable depth.
> Midnite/Magnum and Midnite/Outback places them back toward the back
> wall with the inverter on the hinged cover; thus the battery enclosure
> technically sticks out too far. The XW Midnite panel doesn't have this
> issue, as it's a different layout. If necessary, one solution would be
> to mount the E-Panel several inches out from the wall surface.
> Allan
>
> *Allan**Sindelar*
> Allan at positiveenergysolar.com <mailto:Allan at positiveenergysolar.com>
> NABCEP Certified Photovoltaic Installer
> EE98J Journeyman Electrician
> *Positive Energy, Inc.*
> 3201 Calle Marie
> Santa Fe, New Mexico 87507
> *505 424-1112*
> www.positiveenergysolar.com <http://www.positiveenergysolar.com/>
>

> On 10/22/2010 10:56 AM, R Ray Walters wrote:
>> Why does the side mounted breakers make the Midnite non compliant?
>> Apparently I missed Robin's post on that.
>> Or do I not want to know?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> R. Walters
>> ray at solarray.com <mailto:ray at solarray.com>
>> Solar Engineer
>>

>>> . Midnite enclosures, with the breakers on the sides, are not
>>> compliant, as Robin has acknowledged, but it has never been a
>>> problem for us as the breakers are still easy to access.
>>>
>>> *Allan**Sindelar*

Allan, I don't remember saying our equipment is not compliant ?
The battery cabinet cannot obstruct access to the equipment.
The fact that the MidNite breakers are on the side actually
allows better access to servicing them.

The front facing breakers have the connections on the back of
the breaker where you can't see them.  Our breakers are clearly
visible for all the connections compared to all of the alternatives.

The battery boxes stick out 15" from the wall.  This is all the closer
you would be even if there was no battery box under the E-Panel.

Robin