[RE-wrenches] The perfect solar ready roof

North Texas Renewable Energy Inc ntrei at 1scom.net
Fri Oct 22 07:47:03 PDT 2010

Phil hits the nail on the head, it sounds like we've both been down this
road. Problem is it's not always as simple as asking the roofers to do their
job your way when you are not signing their paycheck.
I contracted a metal roof PV installation a few years back but only got the
job on the condition, by the very fastidious homeowner, that I could verify
that the installation won't cause leaks or void the warranty on the <2 year
old roof. He gave me the roofers name and the roofing product and mfgr. I
researched the manufacturers installation requirements for our inland
climate. Then I called the roofer and asked if the 16" wide panels were
installed per the mfgrs specs.
He proceeded to go ballistic, telling me that if I put one module on 'his'
roof he would void the warranty. Even after sending him links to the S5
engineering test results he refused to even talk to me. Finally the customer
had to have a long talk with the guy before he was convinced his roof had
been installed correctly.
Bottom line you cannot ever be certain about the quality of the installation
by someone else.  Besides, the homeowners insurance company will have the
last word on whether a PV mounted roof, found across the street after a
windstorm, was installed right or not.
CYA
Jim Duncan