[RE-wrenches] The perfect solar ready roof

North Texas Renewable Energy Inc ntrei at 1scom.net
Wed Oct 20 06:51:49 PDT 2010

Chris
You would need to use something like the Unirac Fast foot to attach your PV
standoffs. Fast foot uses multiple smaller gauge screws into the decking,
necessary since engineered beams are not able to provide the 4-5 inches of
solid wood needed for traditional lag bolts. The engineered beams you speak
of, while rigid light-weight and cost-competitive with dimension lumber, are
usually recommended for joists or floor beams though not usually used for
rafters.
I'm curious, how did the homeowner get 1/2 inch decking past the building
inspector?

Jim Duncan
North Texas Renewable Energy
486 W.N. Woody Road