[RE-wrenches] Accessable?

Andrew Truitt atruitt at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 09:25:52 PDT 2010

Benn - I like installing j-boxes under the array as a general rule both for
aesthetics and to keep them somewhat sheltered from the elements.  I do not
see any code issues with the location because, as you mention, they are
still accessible.

>From NEC2008 Article 100:

*Accessible (as applied to equipment)*. Admitting close
approach; not guarded by locked doors, elevation, or other
effective means.

*Accessible (as applied to wiring methods)*. Capable of
being removed or exposed without damaging the building
structure or finish or not permanently closed in by the structure
or finish of the building.

- Andrew

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 3:15 AM, benn kilburn <benn at daystarsolar.ca> wrote:

>  Wrenches,
> There has been some mention on this list lately of locating Soladeck and/or
> other combiner boxes under arrays.  This has me wondering if folks are doing
> this only for a cleaner looking roof array or if there are other
> reasonable intentions (lack of available roof space).
>
> Other than a cleaner look, i see no benefit to doing this. (don't get me
> wrong, a cleanly installed array is something to be proud of)  However if
> the box ever needs to be accessed, you have to remove at least one module to
> get to it, dealing with the whole 'breaking the bond' issue; having to
> remove the module, replacing the WEEB clip or undoing and then re-torquing
> the lug set screw, re-installing module, etc.  If you just wanted to quickly
> check something in the box (voltage, torque, whatever) it is no longer a
> quick and easy task.
>
> So the Canadian Electrical Code says in Section 0.....Definitions
>
> *Accessible* (as applied to equipment) - admitting close approach because
> the equipment is not guarded by locked doors, elevation, or other effective
> means.
>
> *Accessible* (as applied to wiring methods) -
> (a) not permanently closed in by the structure or finish of the building;
> and
>         (b) capable of being removed without disturbing the building
> structure or finish.
>
> My interpretation here is that;
> (a) the box is not 'permanently closed in', just inconveniently closed in.
> and,
> (b) you are not disturbing the structure or finish, as you will be
> replacing the module as soon as you are finished in the box.
>
> Many pieces of equipment and/or panels require that you remove a single
> piece or a multi-piece cover to access the wiring.  The pv module is like a
> large 'cover' in this case. So i do not see this as a code violation.  Do
> you?
>
> I'm not familiar with the NEC, is it's definition of 'accessible' similar
> to the CEC's?
>
> Is this combiner mounting location under the array common practice for some
> of you, or only done when roof space for a combiner box is limited?
>
> I am going to run this scenario by one of our inspectors, i just thought
> i'd get some feedback from other Wrenches first.
>
> cheers,
> benn
> DayStar Renewable Energy Inc.
> benn at daystarsolar.ca
> 780-906-7807
> HAVE A SUNNY DAY

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org
>
> Options & settings:

> List rules & etiquette:

"Don't get me wrong: I love nuclear energy! It's just that I prefer fusion
to fission. And it just so happens that there's an enormous fusion reactor
safely banked a few million miles from us. It delivers more than we could
ever use in just about 8 minutes. And it's wireless!"

~William McDonough