[RE-wrenches] Delta LAs

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Tue Sep 14 11:43:28 PDT 2010

You could buy several ground rods for the cost of one Delta.
Ground Impedance is the real issue. Both the Delta and the Polyphasor need a good ground to work.
While I haven't seen much of a correlation between Deltas and reduced lightning damage, (lots of system damage with and without)
I have found that well grounded systems (tied to a steel cased well) have never had a problem, even with direct strikes to a wind turbine (did lose the $40 turbine rectifier, but nothing else)

I now own a clamp-on ground impedance tester, and the results were miserable. Some electrodes were over 800 ohms to ground! (code requires under 25 ohms)
I'd spend more time and money reducing ground impedance, and then if it makes you feel good inside, throw the little "lightning faeries" in, if the AHJ isn't looking.......

If its really lightning country, and a really expensive off grid system, I use Polyphasor, but they have their own issues. (very expensive, no UL listing, loose internal connections, nuisance tripping, need a large J-box to mount them inside, etc.)
I haven't tried the Citel stuff, but it looks to be listed, and mounts on a DIN rail. After installing a couple hundred Deltas, I'd try something else at this point.

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer