[RE-wrenches] The Demise of Reason

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 13 08:44:39 PDT 2010

Peter,

No tone was intended. The theme of your post was good, but the subject was
misleading. The fact that you were shocked twice by my questioning your
subject means that you misunderstood the tone of my questioning of your
subject title. I misunderstood your post and reacted to a very negative
subject heading that gave the impression that the WEEB product was generally
experiencing its demise.

I have heard of a few companies that have withdrawn information about the
WEEB in their literature, but I was unaware that SunPower was one of them.

Grounding of module frames has been a big issue for over a decade and module
manufacturers have not done a lot to help the installer in this area. When
UL cracked down on the haphazard way that grounding was being approached in
the field, it became a major issue. Manufacturers had to retest many of
their products and provide details on the methods allowed in their manuals.
Since adding grounding options to a module required additional testing which
was expensive, many manufacturers went the easiest route to get approved.
This was not good for products like the WEEB since it now required testing
with every module type. In addition, my understanding is that UL has not
allowed the WEEB on UL-listed products since the product was not evaluated
by UL and they do not have the test data that supports how it was evaluated.
That may be the source of the issue with SunPower--you would have to ask
them directly.

We need a more generic approach to grounding and that is what is currently
underway. Grounding and bonding is extremely important and jurisdictions are
focused on it for obvious safety reasons. We need solutions that are clearly
reliable and straightforward so that installers and jurisdictional
authorities don't have to constantly be revisiting the issue.

Bill.