[RE-wrenches] Net AC kW Derate Factor for Xantrex XW inverter and XW opinions

Jeff Oldham starpower4u at juno.com
Tue Aug 24 14:42:33 PDT 2010

I remain shy about Brand X but I hear nothing but good news about these XW's so I'm getting close to taking the plunge. Regarding DC to AC battery based conversion efficiency the good rule of thumb for O-T-G systems is 50% STC to AC this considers batteries at 1/2 life. You will surely do better out of the gate and near the end of battery life you will do worse. For years I balked at this 50% travesty but time again it has proven to be pretty darn close to reality. Consider real life in the heat and minor dust STC - true DC output is perhaps as good as 85%, inverter 95% (at best), dust 5-10% loss, wire and connection losses 2-5%, battery in (10%) and out (10%) losses and it all adds up. However, if you're in float most of the time you might be closer to 65% STC - AC.

>From the Solar, Wind and Hydro powered office of Jeff Oldham/Regenerative SOLutions
Obama Urges Homeowners to Refinance
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/4c743d39cd1bf86b4d2st04vuc