[RE-wrenches] DR2424 inverters charging poorly: three units in two days!

Mick Abraham mick at abrahamsolar.com
Thu Aug 19 17:19:50 PDT 2010

I knew Allan S. & Brian T. would be among the first to chime in with helpful
observations. My recollection, however, was that prior efforts with portable
generators had worked OK with DR sets...and I know of one setup like that
which is working OK in my home county for sure. (That's a portable with
fairly big wattage rating, however.)

 I increased the engine RPM on that newly repaired generator but I felt
creepy around 125 volts per leg. No more fireworks, please, but should I
tweak it up faster?

So...Allan is saying that he suspects these DR units are operating
"normally" and therefore could not be helped by a repair. I look forward to
receiving additional posts on this topic.

Brian T's point (about the neutral usually being bonded to metal frame on
portable generators) is well taken. I tried to buzz it out with my
continuity meter and read "open" between genset neutral & metal chassis.
This was at the end of some hot & hectic overwork, however, so maybe I
screwed up on that test...loose meter cable or sketchy switch position on
the meter,  maybe. I will test that again next time.

Although it's a portable genset of fairly low price, I think it has some
fancy electronic ground fault interrupter or maybe even electronic ground
switching. Perhaps that's why it wouldn't buzz out when the engine was off.
When the "green wire" on the twist lock power cord was connected to the
metal of the Power Panel System--as seems quite reasonable--the generator's
voltmeter would drop to zero as soon as the twist lock plug was inserted.
That's when they called me...to boldly go where no normal, sane electrician
ever would. I loosened off that green wire from the Power Panel and all
looked well. I should have stopped there. The manual for the generator was
no help at all.

Three poorly charging inverters in two days...plus one Big Bang...that was
not one of my better weeks!

Mick Abraham, Proprietor
www.abrahamsolar.com

Voice: 970-731-4675