[RE-wrenches] The Genie Lens

John Wadley wadleyjk at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 16 09:23:21 PDT 2010

I've taken a closer look at how the technology works on the Genie Lens website and I'm not sure the focal length will be much of a factor, Jim.  Here is why.  On a traditional Fresnel lens (like a lighthouse) a point source of light is redirected by the lense into parallel paths to create a beam in one direction.  Here putting the light source at the focus is critical to making the beams parallel.  On the Genie Lens film, the focal length is from the film to the sun and the parallel portion is between the film and the solar cell.  It would seem that moving the sun across the sky would only redirect light from another part of the tempered glass and still hit the solar cell.

The think the way this technology really works is it is bending additional light from other directions than direct-normal and also redirecting light reflected off the solar cells back into the solar cells.  In essense, it is acting like an optical diode by allowing light to pass mostly one way only.

The gains are probably real, but other drawbacks come to mind other than those already mentioned (warranty, degradation).  What happens when it is hit by hail?  I suspect the little optical ridges that a perfectly angled to bend and redirect light are deformed and essentially block light under a hail blemish.  Also, all those little ridges are bound to be soil collectors.  I think if I were to try this technology, I'd use a system that already has a 10 year (10%) degradation to see if I could bring it back to original design production.  But I wouldn't do it unless I could cover it with more tempered glass to protect the surface and prevent additional soiling.

John Wadley, MSEE, PE
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer (TM)
Wadley Engineering
214-557-3841