[RE-wrenches] #10 THWN-2

Ryan Mayfield ryan_mayfield at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 23 12:31:12 PDT 2010

Peter,

There was a change in the 2008 NEC (I know - CA is just getting to this Code
cycle) that won't allow THHN inside conduit when the conduit is installed in
wet locations, 300.9 (300.5 for underground):

300.9 Raceways in Wet Locations Above Grade.
Where raceways are installed in wet locations abovegrade, the interior of
these raceways shall be considered to be a wet location. Insulated
conductors and cables installed in raceways in wet locations abovegrade
shall comply with 310.8(C).

And 310.8(C):

(C) Wet Locations. Insulated conductors and cables used in wet locations
shall comply with one of the following:
(1) 	Be moisture-impervious metal-sheathed
(2) 	Be types MTW, RHW, RHW-2, TW, THW, THW-2, THHW, THWN, THWN-2, XHHW,
XHHW-2, ZW
(3) 	Be of a type listed for use in wet locations

So for an attic run, it wouldn't be considered a wet location but for the
outdoor runs it would be. And since so many runs will be exposed to both
types of locations, it only makes sense to me to keep it all THWN-2. I like
your position of only stocking one wire type to reduce the possibility of
confusion in the field.

Ryan