[RE-wrenches] #10 THWN-2

Peter Parrish peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Fri Jul 23 11:28:21 PDT 2010

Just a minor point: the dash-two appendage brings a wet-rated wire from 75
deg C to 90 deg C.

If you are not in a locale that argues for wet-rated wire and your specific
application does not argue for wet-rated wire, IMHO it is perfectly
acceptable to use THHN wire (90 deg C rated for damp environments) for
outdoors, attics and other extreme temperature conditions. Of course you
have to use good 3R boxes and rain-tight EMT connectors.

For us, it is easier to purchase and inventory just one wire type for
conduit runs, and we usually get the same price for THWN-2 as we do for
THHN, or close enough. In fact we almost never use #12 either for the same
reason.

Peter T. Parrish, Ph.D., President
California Solar Engineering, Inc.
820 Cynthia Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90065
CA Lic. 854779, NABCEP Cert. 031806-26
peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Ph 323-258-8883, Mobile 323-839-6108, Fax 323-258-8885