[RE-wrenches] Interstate UL-16 HC problem

Dave Palumbo dave at independentpowerllc.com
Tue Jun 29 17:58:30 PDT 2010

Bob,

Sulfation, I'd say. Try EDTA. Trailhead Supply. See Home Power marketplace
ad for contact info.

If it's not sulfation then maybe it's simply diluted electrolyte(accidental,
or intentional) which would make the batteries have lower performance AH
wise but should last a long time (plates hold up better in a less acidic
solution). Years ago I received some Hoppecke lead acid batteries direct
from Germany to make good on a bad batch of NiCADS. The Hoppecke LA's
intentionally have a max SG of 1.240. Very big cells (330lbs for a 2v cell)
and evidently have a very long life, as I am using them still in my
barn/shop 16 years later and they act like new despite a pathetically low
charge rate. These cells are rated at 2,000 AH @ 100h rate.  I am charging
them with 35 amps of PV with the occasional 75 amp charge when the gen is
on.

I have never heard much good said concerning Interstate deep cycle
batteries.

Dave