[RE-wrenches] Real world PV production

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 10 09:02:19 PDT 2010

PVWatts is a good general estimator when you fine-tune the derate factor. For single crystal and multicrystalline arrays, I generally use 0.65 for battery-based PV and inverter systems and 0.82 for batteryless inverter systems. PVWatts annual results are l5% low for Unisolar arrays because PVWatts uses the crystalline silicon temperature coefficient.

Even though PVWatts2 may seem more accurate, it does not factor in unique local climate conditions like California coastal morning and afternoon fog or inland persistent winter Tule fog. However, NREL's climate data does include LA's "June gloom" see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_Gloom

For flat roofs in snowy climates like the Unisolar project in Rochester NY, I deduct 30% from PVWatt's November through March estimates for a fairly accurate annual estimate. Powerlight (now SunPower) also uses an additional 30% monthly derating for flat roofs in snowy locations.

PVWatts does not account for really dusty and dirty air locations. Bill Brooks worked at PVUSA and is very knowledgeable about power loss from soiling from agricultural dust in central California. Bill also measured 35% power loss at the Long Beach CA harbor waste-to-energy powerplant PV systems. That location and most LA county freeways experience particulate pollution that not only reduces PV production but causes permanent respiratory damage to children and shorten the lives of elderly people, sort of like the canary in the mine.

Joel Davidson