[RE-wrenches] 30-year old PV module

benn kilburn benn at daystarsolar.ca
Mon May 24 15:10:51 PDT 2010

Great info Joel, thanks!
are cell and glass thickness somehow encoded into a modules' spec sheet?  or do you have to dig deeper and hope to get a reply from a mfg?
benn
DayStar Renewable Energy Inc. benn at daystarsolar.ca780-906-7807 HAVE A SUNNY DAY

From: joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
To: re-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 16:42:36 -0700
Subject: Re: [RE-wrenches] 30-year old PV module

Hello Drake,

(silicon not silicone) Good question about
thickness. I recently inspected a circa 1996 solar
array with 300 micron thick, 6-inch round cells encapsulated
behind 3 mm thick glass and found a few cracked cells and impact
fractures. Today, some cells are 260 to 200 microns and even down to 180 to
160 microns thick. I think if the cells are handled properly, and the glass is 4
mm thick, and the module frame is strong enough to minimize twisting, and the
modules are handled and installed with care, then cell breakage can be kept to a
minimum. It's not how thin the cells are. It is how the cells and modules
are encapsulated and handled.

Joel Davidson