[RE-wrenches] 30-year old PV module

Bob-O Schultze bob-o at electronconnection.com
Mon May 24 09:32:24 PDT 2010

Joel,
A good argument against ever increasing PV sizes and a great argument against big PVs on RVs and other mobile mounts.
Thanks, Bob-O

On May 22, 2010, at 4:42 PM, Joel Davidson wrote:

Hello Drake,

(silicon not silicone) Good question about thickness. I recently inspected a circa 1996 solar array with 300 micron thick, 6-inch round cells encapsulated behind 3 mm thick glass and found a few cracked cells and impact fractures. Today, some cells are 260 to 200 microns and even down to 180 to 160 microns thick. I think if the cells are handled properly, and the glass is 4 mm thick, and the module frame is strong enough to minimize twisting, and the modules are handled and installed with care, then cell breakage can be kept to a minimum. It's not how thin the cells are. It is how the cells and modules are encapsulated and handled.

Joel Davidson