[RE-wrenches] Any experience with Kaneka PV arrays?

Dan Fink danbob at hughes.net
Mon May 3 10:43:08 PDT 2010

Esteemed Wrenches;

Does anyone here have experience with designing and installing Kaneka
thin-film PV arrays?

I am seriously considering them for an upcoming multi-site off-grid
install at a Northern BC Canada fishing lodge, where everything has to
fly in 135 miles by float plane and then even farther by helicopter (or
on foot). Transport costs will exceed equipment costs.

This is a multi-year expansion project, and we need high-voltage panels
for the first year because of distance from array to battery bank, and
don't have the budget to buy multiple 200w 18v grid tie panels for
series, not this year....gotta do 3 systems on one budget. For year one,
we are looking at 360w PV for one system, 120w for the one 4 miles down
the river, and 60W for the most remote camp.

The 60 W Kanekas run 92v open circuit, and are small enough to fit in
the helicopter--Sanyo bi-facials are too big would need a helicopter
sling load, and sling loads tend to make bush helo pilots way more
twitchy and grouchy than normal, which is considerable.

Any real-world experience info with the Kanekas would be much
appreciated here. I might be taking them to the back of beyond...

DAN FINK
Buckville Energy Consulting LLC