[RE-wrenches] Volcanos, reduced solar production and kWh performance warranties

Marco Mangelsdorf marco at pvthawaii.com
Sun Apr 25 20:02:58 PDT 2010

This thread brings up a very timely issue that I’m dealing with right now with PV Power Purchase Providers.  As an integrator providing turnkey PV systems of X kW, I’m being asked to contractually agree to a minimum performance warranty for said PV systems.  I am EXTREMELY uncomfortable to any such clause in any contract that I would sign.  I have strong confidence in my PV design capabilities  and engineering support and in my professional crew to install a top-quality PV system.  I have a lot less confidence in an inverter manufacturer being able to get to a site on a Hawaiian island in the middle of the Pacific in a super timely fashion as the lost PV kWhs rack up.  And as I mentioned in a previous post today, we have an active volcano here that’s been spewing since 1983, a volcano that could get a lot worse on any given day.  I’m leaning strongly against agreeing to any such clause.  Way too bad a precedent to set.  Way too much of a liability.

Anyone else had to deal with this bugger of a performance warranty demand?

Thanks,

marco

ProVision Solar

Marco:

Our production schedule has been in tatters - lowered by perhaps 30% because of the rain.... can't plan, can't do.  Then I pay overtime on good days to (try to) catch up.

We have a number of systems online and I had not thought to actually review and compare from this year to last.  I'll let ya know.

We'll get a call like - "My bill is higher than last year (edison has a bar graph of monthly consumption for the past 13 months) and I'd like you to look at my system" or My meter is not going backwards, should I call edison?"  The weather is so consistently wet this winter (think Hilo) that we usually just need to ask-

"Been outside lately?"

But everywhere is so green and the desert bloom is outrageous.........

http://www.desertusa.com/wildflo/ca.html

Pat Redgate

Ameco Solar