[RE-wrenches] sources of DC equipment

Dan Fink danbob at hughes.net
Sun Apr 11 10:23:18 PDT 2010

Ray;

  I concur on the Thin-lites for DC FL. Bomb-proof.

I've had better luck than you on the Shur-Flo pumps it seems -- 3-5
years each in full time service, then needing a diaphragm rebuild kit
(cheap). I think I have about 8 of these installed for customers (and
myself) right now. I always use a pressure tank for domestic, but my
spring pumping systems don't have that. Most customers just keep an
extra pump on hand to minimize downtime if there is a problem. I lost
one DC Shurflo 2088 to lightning, improved the grounding and it hasn't
happened since.

DC systems are a hassle for both the installer and customer. Price out a
12-pack of 120 VAC CFLs at Home Depot vs. the same 12-pack of DC
CFLS....the difference would buy lots of 12-packs of beer! I have DC
circuits in every room of my house, in addition to AC....but as time has
gone by (since 1991) more and more of them on the DC side sit idle
anymore. Same with my customers.

DAN FINK
Buckville Energy Consulting LLC