[RE-wrenches] Voltage degradation

Drake Chamberlin drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Tue Apr 6 01:58:56 PDT 2010

Esteemed Wrenches,

How much voltage overhead should we have available on our arrays to
allow for inverters not to fall out of their DC voltage operating
range?  Since the module power degradation is 20% over the warranty
period, I usually shoot for a module voltage that can drop 20% and
still be within the MPPT range of the inverter under the average high
temperatures, since most of the degradation is in voltage.

Am I being too conservative with this number?  It always pushes the
number of modules to the top of what is allowable on the string for
the extreme low.

Thanks,

Drake Chamberlin
Athens Electric