[RE-wrenches] Supply Side Tap Overcurrent Protection

Ryan LeBlanc ryan at naturalenergyworks.com
Wed Mar 31 16:29:20 PDT 2010

Steven,

A Line Side Tap, by nature, allows us 100% of the Service Entrance Conductor
Ampacity.  This typically ~equals Main Breaker rating, but is regardless of
the Main Breaker rating or size of Loads, it's about the conductor.  NEC
recognizes that our systems produce power, not draw it, so downsizing the
Main would have no effect on the size of a Line Side Tap.

Corrected PV output is considered continuous, so if you have 100Amps worth
of conductor, 100A worth of Loads (Coming), and 100A of Solar (Going), we're
still considered square on that service conductor.  Doesn't matter what the
draw is in the panel, the remainder of energy goes out the meter.  If you
downsize the main, you are just missing out on that much load capacity.

Downsizing Main breakers only assists Load Side connections, obviously by
increasing the Main Panel to Main Switch ratio for 120% Rule math.

Check out: Solar Pro SP2.4 Article "Can We Land: Means and Methods of
Utility Interconnection." (LeBlanc/Yates)
Available Free online at SolarPro's website.

Ryan J. LeBlanc
NABCEPT Certified Solar PV Installer
Santa Rosa, CA
Cell: 707.591.1950
Direct: 707.536.9839
ryan at NaturalEnergyWorks.com
http://www.NaturalEnergyWorks.com

Today's Topics:

   1. Re: Supply Side Tap Overcurrent Protection (Steven Lawrence)

Why can't you do a line side tap and downsize the main breaker?  Use a 60A
main disconnect for the line side tap, and use a 60A main breaker for the
service panel.  That's similar to what I did except I downsized the 200A
main to a 150A. This also allowed a manual interlock kit in the main service
panel that can be fed from the backup load panel.

Steven Lawrence