[RE-wrenches] Supply Side Interconnections - Maximum Backfeed

Scott McCalmont re-wrenches at scottmccalmont.com
Thu Mar 4 15:30:21 PST 2010

Going all the way up to the rating of the service might not be such a good
idea. The utility may use smaller wires for the service drop than you would
expect based on the ampacity tables in the NEC. Considering the example of a
400 A service:

- PG&E (local utility) requires 350 kcmil Aluminum conductors.
- Table 310.17 rates 350 kcmil Aluminum for 395 amps before temperature
correction.

With load diversity the smaller wires will be fine, but the output of a PV
system is continuous. Running the output of a system sized at 400 amps
through the wires on a hot summer day could overload them.

So... it depends.

Scott

Scott McCalmont, P.E.
McCalmont Engineering