[RE-wrenches] Generators and Grid-tie Systems

Drake Chamberlin drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Wed Mar 3 06:40:48 PST 2010

The issue of what will or will not hurt an inverter, when connected
to a generator, does not seem to be resolved.  The fail safe method,
of course, is to connect to the line side of the transfer
switch.  Other than that, there are varied views.

There are systems in operation that intentionally AC couple
generators to on grid inverters.  A post on the List had linked to an
article about such a system, but so far I can't find the information.

Has anyone else had problems with isolation relays?  This was a
recommended method that didn't work for me.

Drake Chamberlin
Athens Electric
OH License 44810
CO License 3773