[RE-wrenches] Utility External Disconnect Switch

Dan Fink danbob at hughes.net
Sat Feb 13 17:27:21 PST 2010

Hello Joel --

Well, you can be assured that both NREL and IREC are on your side. They
were very convincing about dropping UEDS requirements at this seminar.
Funny how utilities can require UEDSs, but none of them have the
procedures, personnel or infrastructure to actually *use* them.

Imagine a 'green neighborhood' with PV on each of four dozen homes.
Figure at least 10 minutes each for the utility to locate and tag / lock
out each UEDS...and the same to re-commission them after the incident.
And how many utility trucks carry 4 dozen locks?

I won't go into any more UEDS issues here, but I will be writing about
them soon and publish the link here on the list.

DAN FINK