[RE-wrenches] Refractometer vs Hydrometer?

Warren Lauzon windsun at wind-sun.com
Sat Feb 13 11:38:47 PST 2010

Have any of us here ever heard of a "world renowned battery guru"? You have to wonder why, if they are world renowned, they have to do home shows.

Refractometers have been used quite commonly in labs, but those are in the $500 an up range. Some pretty decent ones for home use are in the $75-$150 range. I have seen some for sale for under $40 but have no idea how accurate they are. Refractometers are pretty commonly used in beer brewing and in salt water fish tanks.

One thing you have to be very careful of with Refractometers is bubbles and/or any particles which will throw the readings way off. You also need to rinse them in distilled water between uses, but that goes for most hydrometers also.

But all that said, it kind of sounds more like a wiring, wire size, or connection problem with the widely varying amperage you are getting.

Northern Arizona Wind & Sun - Electricity From The Sun Since 1979
Solar Discussion Forum: http://www.wind-sun.com/ForumVB/