[RE-wrenches] Inverter causing migraine?

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 3 19:54:19 PST 2010

Ron,

Electromagnetic fields are produced any time you have current flowing
through wire. They are low frequency waves that drop off rapidly
proportional to the distance from the source. Inverters, transformers,
fluorescent light ballasts, motors, clock radios, power blocks, microwave
ovens, kilowatt hour meters, service panels all emit EMF. There is no
practical way to block EMF.  It passes through almost everything including
walls and even lead. There is no U.S. safety standard for EMF. Some say 8
milligauss or more is dangerous and 2.5 milligauss or less is safe.

I went through our home about 10 years ago using a borrowed milligauss meter
(thanks David Katz). Our utility meter service had significant EMF, but that
was not a problem since it is mounted on an outside wall and there is a
closet between the living space and the meter. The EMF had fallen to below 2
milligauss between the wall and the closet door. The bedroom clock radio was
the second largest EMF source in our home. Moving the clock 1 foot away from
the bed to the other side of the night stand brought the EMF levels under 2
milligauss. Our SW4048 inverter emitted a field that fell to a safe level 2
feet from the inverter.

I tell people not to put their bed against the wall where their utility
service panel or inverter is mounted. I also tell them that the Japanese did
a 2 year study of school children riding the Tokyo subway (big EMF emitter)
and found that there was no danger.

Some sounds that most of us take for granted can cause physical discomfort
and even pain. SW4048 and other transformer and electrical and electronic
buzzing can be annoying. Also certain wavelengths and intensities of light
can cause pain and injury.

Joel Davidson