[RE-wrenches] High amp charge to desulphate

James Surrette james at surrette.com
Fri Jan 15 04:31:11 PST 2010

Hi Ron,

It has been my experience when sulfated batteries are pushed you do get higher gassing and a higher "hit you in the face" smell off the batteries.  Keep the room well vented and watch the temp (max 125F).

Regards,

Jamie

>>> Ron Young <solareagle at solareagle.com> 1/15/2010 1:34 AM >>>
Just a follow-up on this. I have able to get the batteries to accept a higher and higher amp charge and the hydrometer indicates recovery is taking place. However, in the last 15 hour session of charging (this is being done in an unmonitored location overnight) the batteries off-gassed quite a bit. The gas was very strong rotten egg smell indicating hydrogen sulphite...not good stuff. I've never noticed this in charging batteries in the past even in some heavy charging scenarios you can get an acrid sulphuric smell but not the rotten egg smell. Is this because the batteries are so heavily sulphated and is this a normal consequence or is it an indicator of some other malady in the batteries?

Ron Young

earthRight Solar