[RE-wrenches] High amp charge to desulphate

Ron Young solareagle at solareagle.com
Thu Jan 14 21:34:36 PST 2010

Just a follow-up on this. I have able to get the batteries to accept a
higher and higher amp charge and the hydrometer indicates recovery is
taking place. However, in the last 15 hour session of charging (this
is being done in an unmonitored location overnight) the batteries off-
gassed quite a bit. The gas was very strong rotten egg smell
indicating hydrogen sulphite...not good stuff. I've never noticed this
in charging batteries in the past even in some heavy charging
scenarios you can get an acrid sulphuric smell but not the rotten egg
smell. Is this because the batteries are so heavily sulphated and is
this a normal consequence or is it an indicator of some other malady
in the batteries?

Ron Young
earthRight Solar