[RE-wrenches] NEC 690.74

Philip Boutelle philboutelle at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 17:07:47 PST 2010

Wrenches,

We have a string of batteries being inspected by a local AHJ. In plan-check
comments, I was asked to ensure that the flexible cable was UL-listed, so we
made sure of this when it came from the suppliers. We used 4/0 RHW-2. Now
our inspector is asking if "RHW-2 is fine-stranded in Article 400 of the NEC
as required by 690.74?"

Article 400 doesn't explicitly define any cable types for use in battery
systems, and the one general disclaimer is in 400.4: "Types of flexible
cords and flexible cables other than those listed in the table shall be the
subject of special investigation".

Has anyone had a similar request before? Anyone done a "special
investigation" on cables, and have results to share? Any other thoughts?

Thanks for any help,

-Phil
Real Goods Solar