[RE-wrenches] 3.7kW grid tie

Dave Palumbo dave at independentpowerllc.com
Sun Oct 31 11:35:00 PDT 2010

AC Point of Connection could be to a backfed 20A DP breaker in the existing
GE TM3210CCU load center (100A MB with 100A busbar) if the SMA SB3800
inverter was still available. But a SB4000 requires a 25A breaker which
violates the 120% rule with the existing panel.

Comments on the options below.

#1) Go with another 240v grid tie inverter in the 3800W range, so we can use
a 20 Amp breaker. I see PV Powered and Kaco have 3500's listed. Any 3.7, or
3.8kW inverters?

#2) Is it possible to either, change out the Main Breaker in the above GE
load center to a lower amperage MB, or add a Plug In Breaker. There is a GE
"feeder type" breaker # THQL2190 (90 A DP). Could we use this as the main
breaker for the load center above? It is listed as a 10KAIC breaker.

#3) Swap out existing 32 space load center and replace with 150AML panel
with 100A MB kit.

Thanks,

Dave Palumbo